Dr. Berkan MERSA was born in Karsiyaka/Izmir in 1967. He went to Aydogdu Primary School and Bornova/ Izmir Anatolian High School (in the Department of German Language) for secondary and high school education. Studying in Medical School in Ege University, Dr. Mersa graduated in 1991 and joined the Department of Plastics and Reconstructive Surgery in Medical School in Ege University for specialism. He completed his specialism education in 1997.
Having continued with his further specialism in the field of Reconstructive Microsurgery and Peripheral Neurosurgery in Eastern Virginia Medical School (Norfolk, VA, USA), Dr. Mersa was a colleague of world-renown surgeon, Dr. Julia K. Terzis. His articles were published in various journals and books particularly related to facial palsy and injuries of brachial plexus. He works together with IST-EL Surgery, Microsurgery and Rehabilitation Groupthat is engaged in a set of different hospitals as from 1999. Dr. Mersa is a member of following associations;
- World Society for Reconstructive Microsurgery (Founder Member)
- Society for Reconstructive Microsurgery
- Turkish Society for Plastics, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery
- Turkish Society for Hand and Upper Limp Surgery
- Federation of European Societies for Surgery of Hand (FESSH)
Dr. Berkan Mersa speaks English and German.